Sunday 8 March 2009

Back in business: with Muddy!

It is my first music-related post in a while. And I had hoped to deliver something special to my readers!

I think I have found a gem.



The late, great Muddy Waters is interviewed here in 1972 , on the television program 'The Old Grey Whistle Test'. I found it really interesting to hear about Waters' reasons for moving from Mississippi to Chicago. (Many black musicians of this era made similar choices to move to urban areas, like Chicago. As the musicians adapted to new environments, so did the music. Chicago then became the birthplace of urban or electric blues.)

Also, it was fascinating to hear about the reasoning behind the switch from using acoustic instruments, to playing with electric instruments. These are all points of real social interest, for me!

We also get insight into what Muddy believes the future of the blues would be (as it stood then). This is gold!

No comments: