Friday 10 October 2008

2008 campaign trail. American politics... McCain

The Republican bid for the 2008 US election, is rather frightening. At least, in my opinion. I am not an American, and I am happy to say that I don't know as much about American politics, as those who study it. Although I am not a political expert, I have been following it quite closely.

So far, I am a staunch Obama supporter. He seems to have the attitude, the youth, and the policies to bring about some very positive changes. He is an eloquent speaker, a seemingly likeable person, and an intelligent man. Some of his speeches have been amazing!

I have nothing but respect for John McCain, as a person. He is tough, a war hero, intelligent; and someone who stands up for what he believes is right. From policy standpoint, however, we disagree. I don't think I could ever stand behind someone so politically conservative. I have a feeling that, if John McCain were to succeed in his presidential bid -- it would be George W. Bush's policies, all over again. Even for someone who doesn't live in America, that is a big deal! Change is important!


Also, there is John McCain's Vice President candidate, Governor Sarah Palin. Staunchly right wing, she is fiercely pro-life and an avid game hunter. I'm presenting this, so that you can make of it what you will. I don't intend to be overly critical of politically-conservative America. Sarah Palin certainly seems to be attracting a lot of public attention, though. Every political issue is approached with the same kind of benign, folksy charm... It is a little scary. The Governor from Alaska is against abortion, even in cases of rape, or incest. That is more than a little frightening.

Then, there is the fact that a great deal of what she says does not make sense, in a political context. It would be perfectly okay, if Palin weren't running for the second-highest office in the United States. The amusing thing is that she seems to be stealing, inadvertently, much of the spotlight from McCain. What's more, she cannot recall one single newspaper, which she reads on a regular basis. It is one of many examples of these kinds of occurrences.

There is more to be said... maybe next time.

Stay tuned.

No comments: