Tuesday 16 December 2008

Big John Wrencher: tribute

From previous posts, you might know that I have a passion for playing harmonica. I am also enthralled by the blues, and its various musical offshoots.

I take what I am doing fairly seriously; but I also have a lot of fun. I have been playing every day -- whenever I possibly can -- for roughly 3 years.

As with everything, there are challenges. For example, I can't hold the harmonica in the standard way. I can only use one hand. It can be difficult; because I have seen the majority of players hold their harp, in a certain, accepted way. I started to wonder if my physical differences would prevent me from becoming the harmonica player I wanted to be.

Then, I saw Big John Wrencher!

Wrencher was born in Sunflower County, MS, in 1924 on a plantation. His youthful interest in music -- particularly the harmonica -- kept him on the move as a traveling musician, playing throughout Tennessee and neighboring Arkansas from the late '40s to the early '50s. In 1958, Big John lost his left arm in a car crash in Memphis. By the early '60s, he had moved North to Chicago and quickly became a regular fixture on Maxwell Street, always working on Sundays from 10:00 a.m. to nearly 3:00 in the afternnon virtually non-stop, as Sundays were the big payday for most busking musicians working the area.

(from Answers.com)


'How many more years', Big John Wrencher.

Big John passed away in 1977. I am using this material, only with the greatest of respect. This post is a tribute to possibilities. I feel re-energised!

No comments: